Argyle Street runs between sandstone tenements with restaurant fronts along the ground floor. The Finnieston Crane still stands on the quay by the river.
What Finnieston looks like
Finnieston sits on the north bank of the Clyde between the city centre and the West End. is the main street. The tenements along it are four storeys of blond sandstone with shop and restaurant fronts underneath.
The village was established in 1768 on the lands of Stobcross by Matthew Orr, who named it after his old tutor, the Reverend John Finnie. Everything between and the river went to docks and warehouses after that.
was the biggest of them. It opened in 1877 with sixty one acres of water. It was filled in and the exhibition centre was built on the site in 1985. The Clyde Auditorium, now the , followed in 1997 and the Hydro in 2013.
The is still on the quay east of the Armadillo. The Clyde Navigation Trust ordered it in 1928 and it went into service in 1932. What it lifted was export cargo, steam locomotives above all. Cowans, Sheldon and Company of Carlisle built the tower. The Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Company built the arm.
Behind the tenements on are red sandstone, and the pub on is a single storey block painted white. Two of the old works are still standing at , and one of them has a painted sign for Wm Cook and Sons across the brick.
Films shot in Finnieston
Bertrand Tavernier shot Death Watch in and around Glasgow for release in 1980, and the former was one of the locations. The exhibition centre was built on that ground in 1985, so there is nothing left of the dock to shoot.
Fear, 2025
Fear was made in Glasgow in 2024 and The Gannet was one of its locations. The restaurant opened in 2013 in what had been a derelict ground floor tenement at 1155 . Next door the stone fascia still has Newsagent and Tobacconist cut into it above the Kelvingrove Cafe.
What Finnieston can double for
Finnieston can stand in for a British tenement high street and a shipbuilding river with the yards gone.