Bernard de Marigny cut up his plantation and sold the lots in 1806. They went so quickly that he extended the subdivision four years later.
was meant to be the main street. He named it after the Champs-Élysées and ran it five miles from the river back to Lake Pontchartrain. No street in New Orleans had done that before. The Pontchartrain Railroad laid track down the middle in 1831 and lot sales picked up.
What went up on those lots was mostly Creole cottages and shotgun houses. They sit on the front property line with no yard in front. Most are a single storey under a steep roof, four openings across the front. The blocks are short. and cross out of the French Quarter, and the houses on them do not change.
is the exception. Three blocks of it between and have been the city's live music strip since the 1980s, when Bourbon Street turned to tourism and the rooms that wanted a local crowd opened here.
A bigger room sits further downriver. The Archdiocese closed Holy Trinity church on St. Ferdinand Street in 1997. It reopened in 2011 as the .
The river side of Rampart Street sits high enough that it did not flood in 2005. Some of it took wind damage.
Louisiana pays back 25% of what a production spends in the state and 15% of resident payroll. The 5% for shooting outside the New Orleans metro area does not apply here.



