Brooklyn Heights sits on the bluff over the East River, between Old Fulton Street and Atlantic Avenue. Most of it is rowhouses of three and four floors. The oldest are late Federal houses of brick with plain fronts and dormers in the roof. Brownstone came later.
It was built for people who worked across the river. Robert Fulton's steam ferry began running in 1814 with money from Hezekiah Beers Pierrepont, who owned sixty acres on the bluff and sold them off in lots. Several streets carry the names of the families who owned the land. North of Clark Street the names are fruit instead. , and Pineapple Street run west toward the water.
Very little has come down since. In 1965 this became the first historic district the city designated. The wood-frame houses on and the Federal row at 155-159 are still standing.
Along the top of the bluff the runs 1,826 feet, from the end of Remsen Street to the end of . It is a platform over the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, which runs in two stacked levels underneath and did not carry traffic until 1954. Lower Manhattan and the harbor are in front of it.
has the shops. is a one block mews off Hicks Street.
The city issued 157 shooting permits in the 11201 zip code in the first four months of 2018. After complaints about the 2015 season, it had restricted filming between Pierrepont Street and Atlantic Avenue from January 2016 until April 2017.




