Most of the neighborhood is tenements of five and six storeys with fire escapes on the front. Some of the first tenements in the city were built at , by the river, in 1833.
The grid from up to Houston Street was laid across James De Lancey's farm before the Revolution. and Orchard Street were named after him.
In 1967 the city leveled twenty acres on the south side of and moved out more than 1,800 largely Puerto Rican families on a promise of new apartments. The lots stayed as parking until broke ground in 2015.
West of there the old buildings are still standing, the synagogues among them. The one at 12 Eldridge Street opened in 1887 for Kahal Adath Jeshurun and was among the first in the United States built by Eastern European Jews. Its main sanctuary was sealed off in 1954 and the congregation moved down to the basement. Restoration finished in 2007, and a rose window by Kiki Smith and Deborah Gans went in above the ark in 2010.
South of and west of Allen Street the neighborhood has largely become part of Chinatown. Immigrants from Fuzhou settled around East Broadway from the 1980s. and have Chinese shopfronts most of the way to the water.
still has a pair of low brick houses at numbers 511 and 513, with dormer windows in the roof.



