Broadway runs downhill from Fifth Avenue to the Cumberland. The buildings along it are brick and mostly late nineteenth century. Almost every one has a projecting sign over the sidewalk, and several run neon the full height of the front.
It was Broad Street first, and its east end finished at the shipping docks. A section further west was called Auto Row early in the twentieth century, when car dealers and tire shops took it over. Lower Broadway is the name for the part from First Avenue to Fifth, and the blocks between Second and Fifth went on the National Register in 1980.
The Grand Ole Opry left the Ryman in 1974 and most of the businesses that lived off it closed within a few years. and the at 417 were among the few that held on. The Opry began playing the Ryman again in the 1990s and the bars came back with it.
Tootsie's is at 422 and has been purple since a painter turned it that color without being asked. The Ryman is half a block up Fifth Avenue, and its back door faces Tootsie's across the alley. at 401 was a hotel from 1892 until the 1980s, and Opry acts stayed there after a show.
The at 316 has a front window that lifts open to the sidewalk, with the band on a platform a few feet inside. is up the hill at 501 and the riverfront steps are at the bottom.



