Bedford-Stuyvesant has about 8,800 buildings that went up before 1900. Most of them are rowhouses with the stoops and cornices still on them.
The street grid was drawn in 1835 and most of the streets opened in the 1860s. Trolleys and the elevated made it a commuter neighborhood for people working in downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan. The wooden houses that were here first came down and brownstone rows went up in their place.
Those rows are thickest in . The National Register district there counts 577 buildings put up between about 1870 and 1900, and the city tripled the size of its own district in 2013. and run through it. The Landmarks Preservation Commission drew a separate district around and Hart Street in 2024.
The bigger buildings went up on the avenues, among them the at Nostrand Avenue and Macon Street, built in 1889 to a design by Montrose Morris. It has six towers and open terracotta arcades, with shops along the ground floor.
is the shopping street and it runs the whole length of the neighborhood. There is no elevated over it. The line stopped in 1940, four years after the A and C opened underneath. sits on it, in the old Sheffield milk bottling plant the Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation took over in 1967.



