Hunts Point sits on its own peninsula in the South Bronx, the Bronx River on one side and the East River on the other. Hunts Point Avenue is the through street. At it runs past the old New York, Westchester and Boston Railway station, whose ground floor has been storefronts for decades.
English settlers bought the peninsula from the Wecquaesgeek in 1663. The neighborhood is named for Thomas Hunt Jr. Wealthy families held estates here through the nineteenth century. Faile, Spofford, Casanova and Whitlock Streets are named for four of them. was built around 1860 on Peter Hoe's estate. It is one of the houses still standing, a gray stone Gothic Revival building under a red roof. It became a synagogue in 1919 and later a church, Bright Temple A.M.E.
Most of the peninsula turned industrial in the twentieth century. The opened in 1967, and the meat market followed in 1974. The left its old home in Lower Manhattan for Hunts Point in 2005. More than 800 businesses and 25,000 workers move food through the market halls. The 's factory on Lafayette Avenue, built in 1911, is now offices and a city landmark. Hunts Point and s are lined with competing auto glass and auto parts shops. Forgotten New York calls the area the city's auto glass capital.
is on the East River at Viele Avenue. It has a floating pool built into a barge, and a lawn that runs down to the water.




