The Müuse Atlas / United Kingdom / Greater London / London

Filming in Hackney Wick, Hackney

Brick works and yards run down to the Lee Navigation and nearly every wall is painted. The Olympic Park is on the other side of the water.

The rooftops of Hackney Wick from an upper window, brick works with skylights along the ridge, a side street with parked cars, and the Olympic Stadium and the Orbit behind them.

What Hackney Wick looks like

The Wick was farmland until the railway came. In 1745 it was Wick House and a few cottages. Building started in the 1860s and 1870s, after the station opened.

What arrived then was chemistry. Alexander Parkes made parkesine here from 1866 to 1868, the first true synthetic plastic. Brooke Simpson Spiller ran a dye works at the Atlas Works on . Carless, Capel and Leonard distilled oil here and are credited with the word petrol. A. F. Suter made shellac at the Victory Works on from 1927.

Those firms have gone and their buildings are what the place is made of. The brick sheds have skylights along the ridge and the yards are behind steel gates. Nearly every wall is painted. Artists took the cheap studios from the 1990s and there were more than six hundred by 2013.

The Lee Navigation runs along the eastern side, with the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park across it. The stadium and the Orbit are visible over the roofs. and the railway are the boundary with Fish Island, which is in Tower Hamlets and looks much the same.

The station on was rebuilt in 2018, and its underpass has chemical structures pressed into the concrete. was the 2012 press and broadcast centre. It is on the site of Hackney Wick Stadium, which ran greyhounds from 1932 and speedway from 1935. The stadium closed in 1997 and was demolished in 2003.

runs west past the Trowbridge Estate, where seven towers of twenty one storeys went up in the 1960s and most of it was replaced again by 1996.

Films shot in Hackney Wick

Channel 4 broadcast The Big Breakfast live from a house at for ten years. The lock is at the bottom of Fish Island, south along the towpath. Anthony Minghella built the architecture office in Breaking and Entering inside an old foundry on Dace Road beside it, because nothing near King's Cross would do.

The Big Breakfast, 1992 to 2002

The lock keepers' cottages at Old Ford Lock in 2005, a red brick house with three dormers, a tall chimney and ivy up the gable, behind a white picket fence.

Channel 4 put the show in a real house rather than a studio. The three lock keepers' cottages beside were built in 1947 and had been empty for about twenty years when Planet 24 bought them in 1992. They are Grade II listed. The production knocked them into one three bedroom house fitted out as a television studio and left the outside much as it was. A fire in November 2002 destroyed a large part of the first floor and the roof. The house was repaired and is a family home now. Channel 4 came back to it for one morning in September 2021.

What Hackney Wick can double for

Hackney Wick can stand in for a Midlands canal town and a northern mill district.

Areas like Hackney Wick

Look

“a brick works yard on a canal with roll up shutters and painted walls”

Run this search with Melp